Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Fiction on Nowhere Near Normality



I started writing fiction during last summer. My reading habits had increased and it gave me the will to give it a shot. I've read a few blog with many advices about writing and without much of a technique I started with short stories. 

I didn't have problems finding ideas or anything. Actually it was the other way around. Once I started a story, a better idea came to replace the one I was writing about. I ended up having many unfinished stories that I told myself I'd finish another time but now I know I probably never will or if I do it'll be because the idea was really good. I may still be bad at it (I might never be any good who knows) but I've improved and I know now that I can do better with those unfinished stories. 

I finished the first draft of a story this week-end and even though it's probably also very bad, it's the best one so far. That's probably why was able to write it to the end. I'll post it here when I'll be done rewriting/correcting it. I do not plan to make a career as a writer anyway and I don't pursue the dream of being published. I began to write only for the fun of it and to find out if I can make it. Until I change my mind I'll post my stories on this blog. 

I want to get better, so feel free to give advice and to tell me what doesn't work. You won't hurt my ego at all. The harder you are with my writings the happier I'll be. I'm an amateur and even if, like I said, I don't plan to be a published writer, my stories are meant to be read. I thank you in advance if you read me and more particularly if you participate with advices and critics.

4 comments:

  1. The only advice I can give you so far is to let a first draft rest a little while. A few days, maybe a week. Revisit it after and change what you don't like. Then post it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let your early ideas / attempts discourage you .

    The more you read = the better you'll get .

    If your working on a short story , read some short stories for inspiration .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ben! I will follow your advice.

    Thanks Charlie. I read a few short stories collections lately and that's why I was charmed by its format.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few short story collections I think are definitely worth your interest :

    William T. Vollmann - The Rainbow Stories
    George Saunders - Civilwarland In Bad Decline
    Barry Hannah - Airships

    ReplyDelete