Wednesday, May 11, 2011

You’re good. Get better. Stop asking for things.

On Monday, I wanted to write a post about how my weekend went and how miserably I failed to get this wished idea to get a new spark into my kind of boring life. Halfway into explaining why I didn't reach my goal I stopped to wonder a few minutes about what I was about to do and I deleted what I wrote. For those who knows me, and how I use my wisdom to disarm many "explosive" situations, you'll probably find this funny.

When I left the office on Friday morning. I didn't notice what kind of pressure I put myself on. I thought I needed a new start. Which is still true by the way. And I built theses unecessary walls around it. It had to happen during this weekend. Not on Monday, not on Tuesday. I gave myself Saturday and Sunday to achieve that. That's completly absurd. Why on earth would I believed I needed this goal, to find a new beginning, done in two days?

Well, I didn't really need it. I wanted it though. And that's two completly different things. Normally, I'm quite able to discern what I want from what I need but this time I didn't and that's exactly why I failed to reach the goal I set for myself.

Quite frankly, I didn't realized it until this very morning. When I was writting that post about my failure on Monday. I knew I was wrong writting it. That's why I stopped and never published it. Today, I had my answer. I woke up early. 3h30 AM. With the intention of going to work before everyone else. ( I often do that, I love when the office is cold, empty and noiseless. I usually have a cup of tea and slowly start working. I'm very productive early in the morning ) But this morning, I didn't went to work right after taking a shower. I decided to entertain myself a little before going. 

So I watched an episode of Mad Men. I love this show but I don't really want to discuss about it on my blog. I just want to share with you a sentence Don Draper said to Peggy Olsen : "You’re good. Get better. Stop asking for things." 

I'm taking voluntarily it out of context because theses words. In the show, they are very direct, precise. They mean what they mean word for word. But these resonated into my head like Don was actually talking to me in my own context. 

When we think about it. It's in complete contradiction with what I usually praise. I'm always talking about taking action. About identifying opportunities to take it, in many things we see as negative, bad. Yet, I find it very clever to "stop asking for things". 

Let me explain, I feel I went into this weekend like I was asking to "life" to give me something, an idea for a new beginning. Like "life" owed it me. Like I diserved it. I was so wrong.

I'm good, I'll get better, I'll stop asking for things and it will happen. I'll have all the beginnings I want and need.

I can't help myself for feeling dumb to went through this whole process to end up with something so simple and basic that anyone can brag that's what they always do.

Thanks Don. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment